It’s cold here in Chicago where I live and I love to make fresh, healthy dishes that are fun to eat and warm me up from the inside out. But because of my busy lifestyle, owning and managing my own business, I don’t have time to spend hours in the kitchen every day. As a single person I like to either make enough food at one time for several meals or make simple dishes like this one using purchased ingredients.
This is one of my favorite dishes to prepare because it’s easy, fast and nutritious with the addition of fresh greens. You could use any combination of greens that you enjoy. I typically use “Power Greens” that I purchase from Costco or fresh spinach. For the sauce I often use a pesto sauce that I buy at Trader Joe’s. Trader Joe’s also has a lovely selection of different curry sauces that are not typically served with gnocchi but work surprisingly well. Occasionally, instead of the pesto or curry sauces, I use a few spoonfuls of olive bruschetta, which adds a nice tangy flavor.
You will enjoy this fast, healthy fun dish on those cold afternoons when you are searching your cupboard or refrigerator for something to eat to warm you up!
- 2-4 tablespoon of your favorite sauce
- 4 ounces of gnocchi’s (1/3 of the package)
- a pinch of salt (for the boiling water)
- 3 generous handfuls of greens
- Boil 2 cups water in a pot. Add a pinch of salt
- Drop the gnocchi in the the pot once the water has boiled
- Drop 3 generous handfuls of greens on top of the boiling gnocchi.
- Boil for an additional 2 minutes
- Strain the gnocchi and greens through a colander
- Place your favorite sauce in the same pot that you used for boiling the gnocchi and and gently warm for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Place the gnocchi’s and greens in the sauce pot and toss gently.
- Plate the food and add some freshly shaved Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Prep time: 1 minutes, Cooking time: 5 minutes
- This recipe is for one person. If serving more people, just increase the ingredients accordingly.
- After opening the package I place the package in a gallon size Ziploc bag and place it in the refrigerator to keep it fresh.
- Use 2 to 4 tablespoons of your favorite sauce for example Marinara sauce, curry sauce (trader Joe’s has a lovely selection of vegan and vegetarian curry sauces) or pesto.
- Don’t worry about adding so many greens. They cook down to less than a third of their raw volume.